alias appears to not work inside a called bash script

Stephen John Smoogen smooge@gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:19:00 GMT 2017

On 22 August 2017 at 10:47, Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu> wrote:
> On 8/22/2017 10:31 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> I replicated this problem on my system and found that the fix is to add a
>>
>> shopt -s expand_aliases
>>
>> at the top of the script. I don't know why the option is turned off
>> when running scripts versus in a plain script but that seems to be a
>> default in Cygwin.
>

> It's a *bash* default - it has nothing to do with Cygwin as distinct
> from other bash installations.  If you had a different experience
> elsewhere, it could be that the default was overridden in some system
> wide bashrc file - but that strikes me as unlikely.  I suspect that
> this is done as a security measure, to prevent an alias from introducing
> a surprise.

I checked on CentOS and there is no shopt option set in any of the
/etc/ files. It must be a compiled in default of some sort as EL6 and
EL7 both work without an explicit `shopt -s expand_aliases`. I then
tried on an Ubuntu 16.04 system and it works without the `shopt -s
expand_aliases` also.

I didn't have access to anything else at the moment so I can't say
which other systems might actually follow the default other than
Cygwin at the moment.

> Regards - EM
>

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.