Use of SHELL env var by login

Ernie Rael err@raelity.com
Tue Sep 27 05:35:00 GMT 2016

On 9/26/2016 7:18 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Ernie Rael wrote:
>> I just moved the cygwin installation. The "last" peculiarity I ran
>> into was that the login shell, with the shortcut
>> "F:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -", a ps showed
>>
>>     /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/bin/bash
>>
>> instead of /usr/bin/bash
>>
>> I tracked this down the the windows setting for SHELL, the one you
>> get to from windows' SystemProperties dialog, which was
>> C:/cygwin64/bin/bash. The /etc/passwd file specifies /bin/bash.
> ----
>     I don't think cygwin sets the Windows SHELL variable in the
> registry.  My SHELL value in the System section is 'C:/Bin/Bash.exe',
> which isn't a cygwin-looking path (looks like something I set). Are you
> sure you didn't set it in the past sometime?

I suppose I might have set it way back when, but I do wonder why I would
have. It's interesting that you also have it set; there must be
something somewhere that prompted its setting. I can't find anything
online that suggests that cygwin would have set it.

In any event, I still wonder why mintty/login use that rather than
/etc/passwd.