moving Cygwin64 to another drive

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sat Sep 24 05:01:00 GMT 2016

Ernie Rael wrote:
> On 9/23/2016 4:28 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2016-09-23 17:11, Ernie Rael wrote:
>>> I found a thread, https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-04/msg00008.html,
>>> from last year where Corinna suggests the following (which works for
>>> her; she notes YMMV)
>>>         robocopy C:\cygwin64 F:\cygwin64 /e /purge /z /copyall /sl
>>> On Win7, I'm on a old cygwin installation (thought I'd copy to more
>>> spacious disk before updating) I tried this command after ssh to an
>>> admin account, but the command terminates.
----
	Not sure if it is important, but are you on the old machine,
trying to copy local files to the new machine?  Wasn't clear.

>>> with
>>>     100%        New File                 210        shells
>>>     100%        New File                1595        ssh_config
>>>                 New File                 668 ssh_host_dsa_key
>>>     2016/09/23 14:54:53 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File
>>> C:\cygwin64\etc\ssh_host_dsa_key
>>>     Access is denied.
>>> where
>>>     $ ls -l ssh_host_dsa_key
>>>     -rw------- 1 cyg_server Administrators 668 Apr 20  2014
>>> ssh_host_dsa_key
>>> I don't know much about windows. Any ideas on how to get this to work?
>>
>> Run robocopy as admin from an elevated command shell (bash or cmd)
>> with Administrator privileges.
>>
> Simply running as admin doesn't solve the problem.
---
	Yeah... I had a similar problem.  Wanted to copy my Win7 cygwin
install to another machine (WinXPx64).  I also had problems with
permission denied as an admin -- in my case, I think they were common
cygwin DLL's.  I think they were inuse -- and somehow that prevented
them being copied.

	In my case, I was aided by having the other machines 'C' drive
network mounted on Z:\.  I was able to copy the couple (3 actually)
of files that failed, manually, to old-machine's /tmp.  There they weren't
files that would be in use && then I could copy them across the net with
anything.  Since both machines had write access to each other's C: drive,
I copied the files from old's /tmp to the bin & lib directories where these
files lived.  Once that was done it started functioning.

	Maybe that will give you some ideas?  I was sorta in the dark as
to what was causing the failure as well, so I poked about... ;-)