False negative from cygcheck python27.dll (Windows)

Thu Sep 1 14:43:00 GMT 2016

On Sep  1 14:39, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> This is not new, I don't think, but I thought I'd check if it's a known
> problem.
>
> Running Cygwin 2.5.2 on Windows 10 (which just forced the Anniversary
> update on me, various minor irritations to be overcome),

Be glad, be *really* glad, you don't run W10 Enterprise and use a
WSUS server for updates...

> I see the
> following:
>
>    > cygcheck python27.dll
>   Found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\python27.dll
>   C:\WINDOWS\system32\python27.dll
>     C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
>     C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32u.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
>     C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\SECHOST.dll
>         C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
>     C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
>   cygcheck: track_down: could not find MSVCR90.dll
>
> But not surprisingly /c/Python27/python runs just fine, and both strace
> and depends [1] report that the MSVCR90 dependency is satisfied from
>
>   C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.9247_none_08e394a1a83e212f\msvcr90.dll
>
> Just a minor irritation, but I'm curious if there's an underlying
> reason, or it's a bug.

There's a reason and it's that WinSxS stuff.  It works with invisible
redirections so the path itself is not in the usual DLL search path.
We could add the WinSXS dir and all subdirs, but is it worth it?

Corinna

Red Hat