cmp missing from base

DAGwyn@aol.com DAGwyn@aol.com
Sun Oct 30 14:58:00 GMT 2016

I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the  "cmp" utility had been
removed from the Cygwin base, and a search for "cmp" in  the Setup installer
didn't find it.  (It used to exist.)  I eventually  found it hidden in the
"diffutils" package.
Upon searching the mailing list I  found some discussion, most of it being
clueless.  "cmp" is widely used in  Unix makefiles!  It's a basic utility
that has been around for over 40  years.  Utilities like that are so essential
that it disrupts users when  they are removed.  There is a reason that
POSIX specifies them!