Cygwin 64 problem

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Nov 28 12:03:00 GMT 2016

On 11/27/2016 9:03 AM, Girish Joglekar wrote:
> Hi Ken,
> Thank you for your reply on the Cygwin mailing list. I have created a
> slightly smaller test example smaller than what I had created in Feb.
> Attached is a tar file. After make insall if you run TEST.x and click
> the Open button, it gives segmentation fault.
> Hope you will be able to help.
> Thank you.
> Girish

Please keep the discussion on the mailing list so that people who might
be able to help will see it.  I personally am not familiar with X11
programming, so I'm not one of those people.

I do have a few comments, however:

1. This may be slightly smaller than your previous program, but it is
still *very* far from a small test case.  You really can't expect people
to debug a program of this size for you.

2. I suggest that you build with -Wall (as Marco already suggested in
the earlier discussion) and fix all the compiler warnings.  I saw
several that need attention (aside from the many "unused variable"
warnings).  It wouldn't hurt to also use -Wextra.

3. I also suggest that you use gdb to find out where the program is
crashing and why.  You made a start on that in the discussion last
March, but you didn't follow through.  (By the way, I recommend building
without optimization; otherwise you may not be able to get accurate
information about the crash from gdb.)

4. If, after the steps above, you still think the crash is due to a
Cygwin bug rather than a programming error, then try to extract from
your program a test case as small as possible that reproduces the crash.

Ken