Cygwin Setup - Choose Best Mirror Automatically for Automated / Silent Installs

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Nov 20 19:01:00 GMT 2016

On 19/11/2016 01:48, OwN-3m-All wrote:
> I'm not running Windows Defender or any software for that matter on my
> test instance of Server 2008.
>
> I tried running GDB, but the setup executable doesn't have any
> debugging symbols.  Is there a download link somewhere for the latest
> compiled cygwin setup that includes these symbols?

Sorry, this isn't available...

> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.7.50.20140303-cvs
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> This binary was built by Equation Solution <http://www.Equation.com>...
> Reading symbols from setup-x86_64.exe...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
> (gdb)

... and even if it was, this wouldn't work because the distributed setup
executable is packed with UPX, and gdb doesn't understand what that does
to the process memory map.

> I won't be able to debug it further unless I have that... I guess.

I'm afraid you will probably have to build setup from source to debug
further (See [1])

[1]
https://cygwin.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=README