Cygwin Setup - Choose Best Mirror Automatically for Automated / Silent Installs

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Fri Nov 18 07:32:00 GMT 2016

Greetings, OwN-3m-All!

> See, this happens with the mirror I've provided in the setup (only
> sometimes... sometimes it works):

> https://s17.postimg.org/6xuvfaljz/setup_issue.png

> The setup log only contains this:

> Starting cygwin install, version 2.876
> User has backup/restore rights
> io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/setup.rc) failed 2 No such file or directory
> Current Directory: C:\test\cygTemp
> Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may
> not be installed, or we don't have access.
> root: C:\test system
> Selected local directory: C:\test\cygTemp
> net: Direct

> How do I troubleshoot this further, and it is truly caused by the
> mirror?

It is not caused by the mirror. It is crashing long before it would try to
contact any mirror.

> It appears to be because I haven't gotten it to crash yet
> running it manually and using a mirror entry from the list it displays
> to me.

Again, this has nothing to do with it. It crashes on an attempt to retrieve
the list of mirrors.
If my guess is correct, it just crashes on first attempt to connect to the
internet.
Do you have any questionable measures employed? Like braindead AV/firewall
software?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin