ezmlm warning

Jack ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 2 14:55:00 GMT 2016

On 2016.11.02 09:04, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 11/02/2016 05:43 AM, Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov wrote:
>> Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from vanav.org is
>> not accepted due to domain's > 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please
>> contact the administrator of vanav.org domain if > 550-5.7.1 this
>> was a legitimate mail. Please visit > 550-5.7.1
>
> yahoo.com has already been doing this for a while, now gmail.com is
> doing it too :(
>
> In addition to the link you quoted:
>
> > https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690
>
> here's another one:
>
> The problem is that the mailman instance running the cygwin mailing
> list (and ALL lists hosted by sourceware, for that matter) needs to
> be reconfigured to cope with stricter DMARC rules.  I'm not an admin,
> so you will need to redirect this request to the postmaster that
> manages cygwin's mailman instance.
>
> In the meantime, the only "workaround" is to subscribe to the list
> using an address that isn't quite as nasty about DMARC rules.  It's
> sad that more and more sites are clamping down, but that's the price
> we pay for spammers.

I recently ran into the same problem sending to a KDE list.  In my
case, I was using a sourceforge.net FROM: address, but actually sending
through my ISP (frontier.com).  Sourceforge had the DMARC policy that
mail claiming to be from sourceforge.net should not be accepted if it
came from anywhere else.  I think the final solution was for them to
drop that rule, since at least one of the uses of sourceforge is
exactly that type of aliasing.  I don't think gmail will do the same.

You are using a gmail.com address, but it looks like you might have
sent it from vanav.org.  In this case, I suspect your only solution
will be to actually send mail from gmail.com using the gmail.com smtp
server.

Eric's suggestion to resubscribe from an address at a site which is
less strict about DMARC rules would work, but I think the underlying
issue will arise again, as long as you use an smtp server other than
the one from the From: address you are using.

Jack