Can I eliminate diagnostic messages from cp

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Fri May 20 17:48:00 GMT 2016

On 5/20/2016 1:45 PM, lostbits wrote:
> I use cp as my backup tool from disk to USB. There are maybe 40,000 files involved and each one has
> a message of
> "cp: preserving permissions for <file>’: Not supported". These messages slow down the backup and
> obscure meaningful faults. Is there any option for removing the messages?
>
> My command line is: cp <directory> /<usb>

Umm, add command line flags that don't request the permissions to be set?

E.g.,  --no-preserve=mode

You can play around with the various options of preserving / not preserving
mode, ownership, date/time, etc.

Regards -- Eliot