Possible issue with chown v8.25

lostbits aschwarz1309@att.net
Sun May 15 22:35:00 GMT 2016

Win7 SP1
chown v8.25 Package 8.25-3

Possible related issue at:
https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2016-04/msg00400.html

Windows operation: Run as Administrator <cygwin shell>
 > chown -R owner:group *

Windows operation: Explorer <directory> -> Operation -> Security
                    Message "The permissions on <directory> are incorrectly
                    ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective."

                    Click OK -> Edit
                    Message "The permissions on <directory> are incorrectly
                    ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective.

                    To order the Permissions correctly, click Reorder

                    To leave the permissions unchanged (the view will be
                    read-only) click Cancel"

                    Click Reorder
                    This corrects the error.

For the directory and contained subdirectories, the <owner> is put into
the "Group or user names" popup of the Security property. The <owner>
has no assigned permissions.

The contained files in the directory have <owner> in the "Group or user
names" popup of the Security property. The <owner> has all permissions
except special permissions.

the directory and contained files are changed but the permissions of the
directory are detected as incorrect by Win7. The owner has no
permissions in the directory but does have permissions in the files
contained in the directory.

I don't think that this is something that I caused through a fault of my
own. It looks like a chown bug.  Is there a workaround?

art