Midnight Commander is very slow when starting and changing directories

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:03:00 GMT 2016

On 26/07/2016 11:39, Krzysztof Bociurko wrote:
> Tried to list all drive letters (with help of
> http://serverfault.com/questions/62578/how-to-get-a-list-of-drive-letters-on-a-system-through-a-windows-shell-bat-cmd)
> and:
>
>     PS C:\Users\chanibal> wmic logicaldisk get
> caption,providername,drivetype,volumename
>     Caption  DriveType  ProviderName  VolumeName
>     C:       3                        SSD
>     D:      3                        HDD
>     E:       5               <------------ this is a DVD drive not
> used for months (years?)
>
> And it took close to the 4 seconds - similar to the issue I am experiencing:
>
>     PS C:\Users\chanibal> Measure-Command { wmic logicaldisk get
> caption,providername,drivetype,volumename }
>     (...)
>     TotalSeconds      : 5,0886857
>     (...)
>
> Disabling the DVD drive with Device Manager changed the above time to
> 0.063s, changed `ls /cygdrive` time to 0.015s and Midnight Commander
> STARTED FINALLY WORKING IN REAL TIME. Thank you!
>

> All right, now the question is WHY did this fail - I think it might be
> considered Cygwin bug material, almost none windows app has failed
> this way (with the exception of this windows mc build).

If both version of MC are stacked as also wmic, it is because all
asked the same thing to windows and it took 4 seconds
to receive and answer.

Not cygwin bug. Eventually of your DVD driver.

My DVD D: takes no time

  $ time /cygdrive/c/windows/System32/wbem/WMIC.exe logicaldisk get
caption,providername,drivetype,volumename
Caption  DriveType  ProviderName  VolumeName
C:       3
D:       5
E:       3                        HD-Atzeri3

real    0m0.156s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.062s