cygwinX xwin resolution

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Jul 22 13:25:00 GMT 2016

On 22/07/2016 05:23, Dr. Rob Higgins wrote:
> I cannot find, after two days, any documentation on how and where to
> specify resolution parameters. I must be barking up the wrong trees.
>
> My laptop under Windows has recommended resolution set at 3200 x 1800
>
> CygwinX X Windows are much to small, and barely readable.

I guess this means that e.g. xterm font is too small, and so a 80x24
character window is small?

> Can anyone just tell me where to look, or what to specify?

To answer the specific question, you can specify the a display
resolution using the '-dpi' option.

The "configuration" chapter of the user guide [1] points to "man XWin"
[2], which in turn points to "man Xserver" [3] for general server
options, including that one.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.html
[2] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/XWin.1.html
[3] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/Xserver.1.html

If changing that helps, I'd be very interested to know what the
autodetected value for dpi is, which is reported in /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer