cygwin.dll: bug with select on Windows console

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Sun Jan 3 00:45:00 GMT 2016

John Hood wrote:
> More observations:
>
> * This also happens on a Windows 8.1 VDI install with a different AV/security
> solution-- different enough from my machine that I don't think the Windows/app
> environment is the cause of this, it looks more strongly like a Cygwin issue to me.
>
> * <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/pselect.html>
> clearly states that select() must zero out all FD_SET bits when it returns 0.
>
> * Moving the mouse cursor around over the console window (at a bash prompt,
> without mouse modes enabled) makes this issue happen *much* more frequently.

I've looked at the Cygwin source for select(), and maybe other folks have, so
the issue is not being ignored at least.  It seems to me this odd case (not
clearing the fd sets on zero return) is being overlooked by Cygwin's rather
hairy select() implementation.  But I'm just a guy on the mailing list and the
definitive answer awaits the return of seasoned Cygwin developer(s).  :-)

> I'd investigate further but on current Git sources, 'make' fails for me with this:
>
> /home/cgull/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/configure: line 2164: syntax error
> near unexpected token `..'
> /home/cgull/src/newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/configure: line 2164:
> `NEWLIB_CONFIGURE(..)'

Are you following the instructions in the FAQ, Section 6.21?  It's not difficult
to build the Cygwin DLL but you do want to follow the FAQ because there are
numerous cul-de-sac opportunities otherwise.

..mark