XWin won't run xterm on start

Jaakov Jaakov j_k_v@ro.ru
Sun Feb 21 19:16:00 GMT 2016

> > Dear Marco:
> >
> > So, are you saying that not starting xterm is by design?
>
> yes

Well, then, apparently, the design changed several months ago.

> >> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/startxwin.1.html
> >
> > The manpage above is a bit outdated; creating a .startxwinrc with
> >
> > xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
> > xbiff -geometry -430+5 &
> > oclock -geometry 75x75-0-0 &
> > xload -geometry -80-0 &
> > xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
> > xterm -geometry +0-100 &
> > xconsole -geometry -0+0 -fn 5x7 &
> > exec fbpanel -profile multiwindow
> >
> > and running startxwin from the text console results in
> >
> > ---
>
> It is an example....
>
> try just
>
> xterm -geometry +0+60 -ls &
> xterm -geometry +0-100 &
> exec    xclock
>
> killing xclock will shutdown the X server.
> You can use any other program for that.

Thank you, I see. I cannot use xclock - we have one clock in Windows(TM) already, but I'll choose something.
Is there any way to do whatever the current version of
/etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc
does (xwin-xdg-menu, gnome-keyring-daemon, and lots of other goodies which I sometimes need) and, in addition (as opposed to "instead"), run uxterm?