subversion 1.9.3-1 segfault

Greg Chicares
Sat Feb 20 02:41:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-02-19 16:28, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Greg Chicares wrote:
>> /lmi/mirror/lmi[1]$svn update
>> Updating '.':
>> zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  svn update
[...non-helpful stackdump...]
>> I'll try running 'svn' under 'gdb'. Is there anything else I can do to help?
> That's the only other thing I can think of. If you can catch the 
> segfault and get a backtrace, I may be able to track it down.

Thanks. The problem is no longer occurring. Let me state what I
know for the record in case it helps someone else someday.

This seems to be a heisenbug. When I ran it under gdb, repeatedly,
it refused to segfault. Outside gdb, with subversion-debuginfo
installed, I was unable to get a useful stackdump.

The problem has occurred only when's svn server is slow:
on one isolated occasion a week or two ago, and throughout today.
And today there seems to have been a DDOS attack on

While the problem lasted, sometimes I got one or both of these
  svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository
  svn: E175012: Connection timed out
and sometimes svn segfaulted with no message. I tried the same
operations on my debian-7 ("wheezy") system with its older
svn-1.6.17, where I got timeouts but no segfault.

My real problem was the server. I can only conjecture
that attempting to work with a server under extreme load causes
svn-1.9.3-1 to follow some exceptional code path that attempts
to report a diagnostic and in doing so sometimes crashes.

Problem reports:
Unsubscribe info:

More information about the Cygwin mailing list