permission question

Wed Dec 7 20:39:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-12-07 13:12, Erik Soderquist wrote:
>> I really like cygwin and have used it for a decade plus.  Only in the
>> last year or 18-months have I noticed significant permission issues
>> that slow down my workflow.
>>
>> Copying these folders/files from one drive to another is a task I'd
>> like to accomplish, but even more importantly I'd like to understand
>> how to work with permissions in cygwin.  As it is, I'm concerned I
>> will have to leave cygwin behind and I don't want to do that.
>
> I've been a Windows and Linux admin for years, and Windows permissions
> can be a pain, but can also be very granular.
>
> What I normally do for something like this is use robocopy's "backup mode"
> switch to bypass permissions on the source entirely and intentionally not
> copy the permissions to the destination, then set up the permissions I want
> on the destination after the copy is complete.
>
> The "backup mode" option requires either backup operator or local admin
> permissions to use.

Concur and recommend for local copies:

robocopy src dst /s /sl /xj /copyall /zb /nfl /ndl /np /mt:8 /r:0 /w:0

to copy non-empty directories; keep winsymlinks as is; skip junctions;
all info; backup fallback; no file, directory, or progress logging;
8 threads, no retries, no waits: use /copy (like cp -p) instead of
/copyall to skip security info.