make command gives: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file

Arnaut B arnaut.billings@yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 06:35:00 GMT 2016

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:41:25 -0800, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

> On 12/6/2016 6:54 PM, Arnaut B wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After updating cygwin to the latest current release, my "make" command
>> is broken. It spits the following error:
>>
>>   C:/cygwin/bin/make.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> My setup-x86.exe version is 2.876
>>
>> I did try "cygcheck.exe /usr/bin/make", and got the following error:
>>
>>   cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygcrypt-0.dll
>>
>> So I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the crypt package under Libs, but
>> that didn't work. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the make
>> package, and that did not fix the issue either. Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>
> /usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll is provided by the libcrypt0 package.  Try
> reinstalling that.
>
> Ken

Thanks. That did it. Wish there was an easier way to get the answer than
going on the mailing list. Is there a command that can check what package
a dll belongs to?