[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 2.6.0-1

Nirgendsdorf nirgendsdorf@frontier.com
Wed Aug 31 18:22:00 GMT 2016

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:58:45 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I uploaded a new Cygwin release 2.6.0-1.
>
> Please note that this release won't work on Windows XP and Windows
> Server 2003 or 2003 R2.  At least Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
> are required.

Well, there goes XP as another software project on which I depend
withdraws support. It’s not that I can’t afford to "upgrade"-- I can get
a reconditioned box with Windows 7 on it for around $200 or less. It's
that I am too old and tired to install the applications and utilities I
would want, find replacements for my old favorites that would not run on
the new box, and then tweak everything the way I would want it to run.
Worse yet, I would probably want to install Linux...and build it from
scratch. Nope, far too old and tired for any of that, especially for
learning my way around the new stuff.

> Thanks,
> Corinna
Thank you, Corinna, for helping to keep Cygwin going. I found it when it
was ver. b17 because I was looking for a way to run Joseph Allen's
editor (joe) on Windows and keep all the nice POSIX features. It's been
quite a ride ever since. I'll probably be around for a little while yet,
long as I can build stuff for the old Cygwin without too much trouble.
Goodness help me, though, if I ever get to the point where I find myself
sitting in a wheelchair, staring at a wall.

Cheers,

Jeff