passwd unrecoverable error 1265

Wed Aug 31 12:09:00 GMT 2016

On Aug 30 20:20, Vlado wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have few users with sshd-only access to server.  They use passwd when
> changing passwords.
>
> passwd is not working anymore for regular user (remote connection with
> PuTTy):
>
>      test@server ~
>      $ passwd
>      Old password:
>      New password:
>      Re-enter new password:
>      passwd: unrecoverable error 1265

That's a windows error code.  1265 means ERROR_DOWNGRADE_DETECTED, the
officiale error message being:

  The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the
  authentication request. Please try again later.

I can reproduce this problem, but not on all machines. It occurs on W10,
on 2012R2, on W8.1, but it does not occur on W7 or 2008R2.

I found a workaround:  The Windows call for changing the password used
by the passwd tool is

  ret = NetUserChangePassowrd (server, username, old_pwd, new_pwd);

The server is usually the logon server, prepended by double backslash,
as in the variable $LOGONSERVER, and this is how passwd uses the function.
However, while this still works fine on W7 and 2008R2, it fails on the
newer systems with error 1265, ERROR_DOWNGRADE_DETECTED.

The workaround puzzles me slightly, but it seems to do the trick:
If I use the domain name (as in $USERDOMAIN) instead of the server
name when calling this function, it works as expected, also on W7
or 2008R2.

I applied the workaround which will be in passwd of the soon to be
released Cygwin 2.6.0.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat