Attempting to build cygwin1.dll

Nirgendsdorf nirgendsdorf@frontier.com
Tue Aug 30 09:32:00 GMT 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 01:04:23 -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2016-08-29 21:21, Nirgendsdorf wrote:
>> I am sure I have all the support libraries for the 32-bit mingw
>> gcc installed and working (I've built software with it). Does this
>> mean a 64-bit machine is required to build the Cygwin DLL?
>
> No; the mingw64 cross-compiler is required for building
> cyglsa64.dll.

Thank you, Yaakov. The nomenclature that has developed for the 32-bit
and 64-bit builds of the mingw toolchain can be confusing to say the
least, so I have to ask which "mingw64" cross-compiler you are talking
about? mingw64-i686 (which I suppose is the 32-bit version), or
mingw64-x86_64?

In any case, there seems to be no configure options allowing the user to
choose which newlib-cygwin components to build. lsaauth becomes an issue
only because it stops the scripts before cygwin1.dll is built. I may be
wrong, but I think that libm and the Cygwin dll are the only two
components of the package that will give me a significant performance
gain if I can build them architecturally specific with `gcc
-march=native -mfpmath=sse.' I am not sophisticated enough to rewrite
the scripts, nor to build cygwin1.dll manually as described in the
article I mentioned. I would sure appreciate it if there were some means
within my abilities to build it.

Jeff