Trouble installing to UNC path and/or mapped network drive

Andreas Wettergren andreas.wettergren@amesto.se
Tue Aug 23 14:41:00 GMT 2016

Thanks for your reply, the problem has been resolved, details below and in my previous reply to Erik.

Yes, it was something like this (I haven't pinpointed the exact cause yet),
running the setup as the network administrator seem to have done the trick.

> > I’ve also tried to run the install to a local drive on my computer.
> > This works as expected, no problems.
>
> You could try to move / copy that installation to the network share, then.

I had this in mind as something to try, but I wasn't sure if anything in the installation might get incorrect paths or similar.

> > Finally, this sort of install routine has apparently worked in the
> > past, my colleague tells me this is the way he has updated our Cygwin
> > environment before.  It’s possible he did something slightly
> > differently to what I have done this time though.
>
> Or meanwhile some new security policy got installed that throws a spanner in
> the works.  If your colleague is still able to update Cygwin, you'll know it's
> some sort of access right you're missing and can work it out from there.

Correct, it was some sort of permissions issue, possibly related to underlying Samba problems (see my reply to Erik for details).
I think this Cygwin account I was using was created for a different purpose
(updating a specific in-house program inside Cygwin), and the full install scenario had not been tested before.

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated!

Andreas Wettergren
Translation Support
Amesto Translations