Launch cygwin as non-domain user

Tue Aug 16 11:40:00 GMT 2016

On Aug 15 11:53, Bob Van wrote:
> I didn't realize there was a response (on aug 8th to aug 6th) to this
> since didn't get a mail, but am subscribed to digest now.
>
> I have no passwd or group files. When I echo username, it's as I expect...
>
> CHI+User(14497)@RVANOVERMEIREN ~/ror
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  This does not look like a local user account.  Is CHI your AD domain
  or your local machine name?

The above occurs if a Windows system call fails, i. e.  LookupAccountSid
probably returns with an error code outlining that it can't contact the
DC.

If you want to use your AD username even when disconnected from the
DC, it really makes sense to generate an /etc/passwd entry for your
user account, as well as /etc/group entries for the AD groups you're
member in.

To create these entries you can use the mkpasswd/mkgroup tools or,
alternatively, the getent tool.  Either way, obviously you must be
connected to your DC when doing so.

Then, if you're disconnected, Cygwin can easily fetch this information
from the local files.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat