tcsh version 6.19.00-3 hangs on exit

Thomas Taylor tayloth@gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:38:00 GMT 2016

I really appreciate your looking into this problem.  I use the Cygwin64
Terminal icon to create one or more windows.  I set my login shell to
/bin/tcsh in /etc/passwd.  As you suggested, I deleted ~/.logout, and do
not have an /etc/csh.logout.  I also deleted ~/.login, and reduced my
(optional) ~/.cshrc to only the following two lines:

     set history=100
     set savehist=($history merge lock)

In this case (if I understand correctly) tcsh first sources
/etc/csh.cshrc, then ~/.cshrc, then /etc/csh.login.  The files
/etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/csh.login are as downloaded from one of the
Cygwin x86_64 mirror sites, and are unchanged by me; only the optional
file ~/.cshrc (above) has been added by me.  Unfortunately, all mintty
windows hang upon exit, and each must be killed (along with its
associated tcsh) using the Windows Task Manager.  C-Shell scripts
started from the command line also hang upon exit (unless their first
line contains the fast startup flag "-f"), and must be killed with
Control-C.  The mintty windows and the C-Shell scripts do not hang if
the third word "lock" is removed from the setting of savehist in
~/.cshrc.  I would like to use "lock" for the reasons mentioned in the
tcsh man pages.  Things seemed to work fine until a couple of weeks ago,
when I updated my Cygwin system.