PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

Warren Young wyml@etr-usa.com
Wed Aug 10 01:29:00 GMT 2016

On Aug 9, 2016, at 7:01 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>> PATHEXT looks for *executable* files, not file association.  I warned
>> previously in this thread about getting the two confused.
>
> Your statement is confusing. If not contradictory.
> PATHEXT tells the shell to consider these file extensions executable.
> If you create a file association for ".sh" and add ".SH" to pathext, CMD will
> happily execute it, and in the current console.

I think he means that if PATHEXT support appears in Cygwin (whether in the DLL or just in Bash) that you would have to chmod +x any files you want it to apply to.  The existence of the file’s extension in PATHEXT alone would not be enough.