/dev/ptmx fails with Azure accounts

rmora@aboutgolf.com rmora@aboutgolf.com
Tue Aug 2 16:29:00 GMT 2016

<squeek squeek>

Though I am going on vacation in a couple of days until the 15th....

C:\Users\RussellMora>whoami
azuread\russellmora

C:\Users\RussellMora>whoami /fqdn
ERROR: Unable to get Fully Qualified Distinguished Name (FQDN) as the current
       logged-on user is not a domain user.

C:\Users\RussellMora>whoami /all

USER INFORMATION
----------------

User Name           SID
=================== ===================================================
azuread\russellmora S-1-12-1-2043906341-1249388050-2635137163-399631282

GROUP INFORMATION
-----------------

Group Name                                Type             SID                                                  Attributes
========================================= ================ ==================================================== ==================================================
Mandatory Label\Medium Mandatory Level    Label            S-1-16-8192
Everyone                                  Well-known group S-1-1-0                                              Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
BUILTIN\Administrators                    Alias            S-1-5-32-544                                         Group used for deny only
BUILTIN\Users                             Alias            S-1-5-32-545                                         Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE                  Well-known group S-1-5-4                                              Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
CONSOLE LOGON                             Well-known group S-1-2-1                                              Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users          Well-known group S-1-5-11                                             Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\This Organization            Well-known group S-1-5-15                                             Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
LOCAL                                     Well-known group S-1-2-0                                              Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
                                          Unknown SID type S-1-12-1-2741946010-1181797680-2322883994-3292483823 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\Cloud Account Authentication Well-known group S-1-5-64-36                                          Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

PRIVILEGES INFORMATION
----------------------

Privilege Name                Description                          State
============================= ==================================== ========
SeShutdownPrivilege           Shut down the system                 Disabled
SeChangeNotifyPrivilege       Bypass traverse checking             Enabled
SeUndockPrivilege             Remove computer from docking station Disabled
SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege Increase a process working set       Disabled
SeTimeZonePrivilege           Change the time zone                 Disabled

C:\Users\RussellMora>

On Aug  1 22:24, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> For Azure Domain users (and I do not really know what that means),
> pts handling does not seem to work, at least not for mintty, where forkpt=
y()
> fails.
> Please check https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/563 for a discussion,
> and my comment
> https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/563#issuecomment-235310199
>=20
> Also, there has been a similar report here:
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2016-02/msg00046.html
>=20
> I have no idea how to establish a working startup of mintty for those use=
rs.

The problem here is that it's impossible to generate access
permissions for the pty with those weird accounts.  I like it
how Microsoft screws up otherwise working software with this
strange domain handling.

To fix this we have to be able to come up with a working user and group
account for these cases.  For that I need at least output from `whoami
/all'.  I wonder why supposedly nobody tried that after /fqdn didn't
work.

This may be fixable by somebody with such an account and willing to hack
on the Cygwin function pwdgrp::fetch_account_from_windows().  There's
already some code for the so-called "Windows accounts" which seem to
work in a similar fashion (albeit in this case the user has a local
account SID).

Alternatively I need at least a guinea pig with such an account,

Corinna