Emacs will not execute, always reports 24.5.1 as version

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Aug 1 21:52:00 GMT 2016

On 8/1/2016 5:16 PM, Brian Kuhn wrote:

>>> Thanks for the response. Same result with 'emacs -Q' as well, i'm afraid.
>>

>> Then maybe an strace will help.  Please give the following command:
>>
>>   strace -o strace.out /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe -Q
>
> This is interseting.
>
> $ strace -o strace.out /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe -Q
> Segmentation fault

Is it emacs that's crashing or strace?  You should be able to tell by
looking for a *.stackdump file in the current directory.

If it's emacs, can you try running it under gdb to see if you can get a
backtrace?  (You would have to install gdb and emacs-debuginfo.)

My best guess at this point is that your problem is caused by
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda .

Ken

P.S. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and will have limited time to help
you over the next couple weeks.