file permission problem

Barry Gold barrydgold@ca.rr.com
Sat Apr 16 01:16:00 GMT 2016

I updated my cygwin to the latest 32-bit version (I hope), and I'm
having a problem with file permissions. Newly created files and
directories lack write permission even for the owner.

Here's some relevant stuff from my Cygwin shell window:

-----------------
~ % umask
0022
~ % touch x
~ % ll x
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 x
~ % ll .
drwxrwx---+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 ./
~ % cd bin
~/bin % ll .
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:12 ./
~/bin % touch x
~/bin % ll x
-r--r--r--+ 1 barry None 0 Apr 15 18:13 x
~/bin %

If I create a file in my home directory, the file permissions come out
correct. But if I create a file in my bin directory, the file
permissions are wrong -- write permission is missing, even for the owner
(me).

This is x86 cygwin on Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

--
On Beta, we'd have earrings for that. You could buy them in any jewelry store.
http://www.conchord.org/xeno/bdgsig.html