native Linux userland in Windows 10

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:59:00 GMT 2016

On 12/04/2016 14:50, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> By now I guess most of us have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full
> Linux userland, running natively in Windows 10:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html
>
> It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet. Apparently
> Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar to the Cygwin DLL, to
> make this work.  But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt -
> they can run natively as-is in Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full
> Linux userland out-of-the-box.
>
> The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it
> would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point.
>
> Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?  Does it work as well as is
> claimed?
>
> I realize this may be strictly off-topic here, but it seems to me to be
> potentially so important to the future of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here
> insted of on cygwin-talk.
>
> Andrew

Before W10 became the standard it will take some time.

Considering the previous history of Microsoft with
Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) , my feeling is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeo_Danaos_et_dona_ferentes

If they really would like to port Unix on MS, it will be enough to
provide Corinna with a simple way to implement fork....

Regards
Marco