Windows file share under Cygwin?

Tue Apr 5 16:16:00 GMT 2016

On Apr  5 05:04, Deni wrote:
> Hi, I have an issue with mounting Windows file share in Cygwin.
>
> We have Windows file share which is using NFS to share content. I was
> assigned to install Cygwin on it so some application can connect over SFTP
> to that server.
>
> Now they need to access the shared folder from that application and the
> app would pull data from that folder.The thing is that the folder is
> Windows shared folder (exmple; \\server\photos\). the current Windows
> users need to be able to connect to that share (it is mapped to their M
> drive) and the app need to connect to SFTP and pull the data from there.

So I take it that you already have the Windows NFS client installed.
Is it the builtin MS NFS client or a third-party NFS client?

Either way, you already have access to the share from Cygwin either
using the /cygdrive/m path, or the //server/share path, which also
works OOTB.

> My idea was to mount that NFS share in Cygwin and set it as /home
> directory so when the app connects, it automatically goes there.
>
> My questions are: is this possible,

Yes.

>and does anyone know any better solutions?

Nobody really can answer *that* question.  It depends on what your users
are doing.  A local home dir always has speed advantages, so it's more
about your users complaining or not if you do it that way.

As for how to do that, I suggest to take a look into
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping

If you utilize AD you can keep the maintainance centralized easily.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat