How to install a custom permanent postinstall handler?

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Sun Apr 3 18:06:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-04-03 01:24, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
>> I am not in favour of /bin/sh being alternatives-able.
>
> I'd posit that it should not be bash then and somwone else might
> reasonably want a different /bin/sh, perhaps even bash.  Which is
> exactly why the alternatives system exists.

Unfortunately the reality is that not all #!/bin/sh scripts are 100%
POSIX compliant, nor am I convinced that all the possible shells are
interchangeable either.  Ultimately this would lead to unpredictable
(and difficult to support) behaviour for scripts.

>> The *proper* course of action is to use the shebang for the script
>> interpreter you require, i.e. /bin/dash.
>
> It's perfectly OK to use /bin/sh (I'd even recommend it) if all you want
> is a POSIX shell.

True, but the OP said "my scripts rely on ASH/DASH functionality that is
not present in BASH".  If you use functionality specific to a given
shell, then you have to shebang that shell!

--
Yaakov