cygwin potentially corrupting permissions?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer@gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 02:39:00 GMT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
<snip>

> The problem could be caused by the default ACL on whatever directory you're
> working in.  You might consider running 'setfacl -b' and/or 'setfacl -k' on
> that directory.  (Run 'setfacl --help' for more information.)

I just posted this, but it looks like directories created in cygwin
have reasonable ACLs, but directories created via "File Explorer" are
bizarre.

Where bizzare is defined as:
$ getfacl /cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-file-explorer/
# file: /cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-file-explorer/
# owner: GAF
# group: None
user::---
group::---
group:root:rwx
group:Authenticated Users:rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user::---
default:group::---
default:group:root:rwx
default:group:Authenticated Users:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Users:r-x
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

Here's getfacl for C:\

$ getfacl /cygdrive/c
# file: /cygdrive/c
# owner: TrustedInstaller
# group: TrustedInstaller
user::---
group::---
group:root:rwx
group:Authenticated Users:---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user::---
default:group::---
default:group:root:rwx
default:group:Authenticated Users:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Users:r-x
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

Is that what others have?

fyi: I just realized I installed "System Mechanic" around the time I
started seeing problems.  It is installed on both of the machines
having issues.  I wonder if it adulterated my ACLs in an attempt to
make my machine safer?

Thanks
Greg