Group Permissions on root folders problem (Windows 10 TP build 10061)

David A Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Thu Sep 10 15:49:00 GMT 2015

On 2015-09-05 02:59, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> Is there any progress regarding this problem?
>
> I recently encountered the same situation. After some trials,
> I found this problem occurs if the account, on which cygwin
> setup is executed, is a Microsoft account. This does not occur
> if the account is a local account.
> I'm getting an errors saying unknown user win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server
> at the point of setting the password, the password expiry and
> assigning permissions.
<SNIP />
>> This is a domain member machine, yes?
>>
>>> *** Info: This script plans to use 'cyg_server'.
>>> *** Info: 'cyg_server' will only be used by registered services.
>>> *** Query: Create new privileged user account
>>> I don't know why this occurs.  As you can see above, it works for me.
<SNIP />

>>> This is a completely new setup with the Cygwin distro updated to the
>>> latest?  csih 0.9.8-6?  cygwin-2.0.4-1?
>>>

>>> Corinna
>>>
>>> --
>>> Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>>> Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
>>> Red Hat
Possibly related, or perhaps a totally different bug.

On a Windows-10 host: when I use Cygwin *chown***or *chmod *to make
permission changes, the next time I access the folder-tree from Windows
Explorer Security tab, it complains that the Access Control List is
incorrectly ordered and that will cause undesirable results; happy to
say, it gives me the chance to re-order the ACL.  The usual undesirable
result is that an app can create a folder /New/ within /T/ but cannot
create anything within /T/////New/.

Hypothesis: we are indirectly(?) modifying the ACL but are not observing
whatever Windows expects for ordering.  I know that Windows enforces
"*deny*" rules before any "*allow*" rules; I do not know what other
ordering it observes.  I do know that Windows doesn't really consider
the "group" property the same way POSIX does, FWIW.