Running Cygwin's "setup.exe" on a new computer

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 13:57:00 GMT 2015

On 01/09/2015 14:50, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> having installed Cygwin on my old computer  it's now time to move to new
> hardware.   Are there any  Cygwin configuration  or status files I could
> copy from the old box  to the new one  which would cause  "setup.exe" on
> the new machine to automatically install the same packages as on the old
> computer (except for version changes or new dependencies)?
>
> One minor additional problem perhaps:  the old box is 32 bit,  while the
> new one is 64 bit.
>
> Any help welcome.
>
> Sincerely,
>    Rainer
>
> PS:  Please also reply  by personal mail  as I am not  subscribed to the
> Cygwin mailing list.

something like this should work

$ cygcheck -cd |  awk 'BEGIN{printf("setup-x86_64.exe ")} {if (NR>2) {
printf ("-P " $1 " ") }} END { printf ("\r\n pause ")}' >
cyg-install-x86_64.bat

$ chmod +x cyg-install-x86_64.bat

Of course copy the "cyg-install-x86_64.bat" where the
"setup-x86_64.exe" is on the new computer.

Regards
Marco