Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Oct 23 02:25:00 GMT 2015

On 10/22/2015 12:20 PM, reinhard.neder@fau.de wrote:
> I do have the links in /etc/X11/fontpath.d
> xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi:unscaled:pri=20 -> /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi
> and they work fine within cygwin.
>
> I tried to create corresponding links within windows by
> mklink "xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi:unscaled:pri=20" ..\..\..\usr\share\X11\fonts\75dpi
> but I the a message the the file name syntax is illeagal.
> A quick search told me that a colon is a really forbidden file name component in
> WINDOWS and the mask with " " did not help.

Right.  But Cygwin does allow colons in file names, in such a way that Windows
doesn't see them as colons.  See

   https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-specialchars

> So why are there colon in the name of the symbolic link, which program reads these links

The X server reads them.  See the fontpath.d section of the Xserver man page:

   http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man1/Xserver.1.html#lbAN

> and is there a way for me to change my system to use a different link name ?

I don't know.

Ken