[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Tcl/Tk 8.5.18

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu May 21 20:17:00 GMT 2015

On 5/21/2015 8:20 PM, Michael Enright wrote:

> @Yaakov, many of us have a Cygwin requirement imposed on them for
> reasons that maybe even you would argue against. Given that Cygwin
> runs in a world where using GDI is economical and using X is costly,
> and given that downloading and installing updates is a burden that
> seems to grow ever larger as packages sprout dependencies on each
> other, I would like to see the emergence of a new consensus that
> clarifies to what extent X Windows is important to Cygwin as a whole.
> It clearly is important to some programs but is it so essential to the
> Cygwin ecosystem that the burden of using X is to be imposed on so
> many unwilling Cygwin users?

Dear Michael,
please note that in the past we had GDI packages
and all of them died as the maintenance burden was not matched
by volunteers.
The last one, perl-Win32-GUI, is in the same state.

On TCL/TK, if I remember right we arrived at a point where
it was not possible to compile other packages depending on it;
its GDI leg was interfering with the unix root of the rest of cygwin,
it was a mess. Going X we cut the knot.

If you look at the list of maintainers
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

you will notice that it is very very short.

Basically:
Corinna is handling the cygwin core
Yaakov is handlig > 50% of the packages
Jon is handling all the X server
Achim is handling all perl
Ken is handling all texlive
Add me, Jary and Volker and we cover ~ 90% of all packages

Please consider the additional burden you are asking to the
limited maintainers' resources.

Regards
Marco