[EXTERNAL] Re: startxwin - xinit unable to connect to X server

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri May 15 19:08:00 GMT 2015

On 15/05/2015 18:36, Kunz, Christopher L wrote:
> After installing the 64 bit version of Cygwin, I don't experience this problem.
>
> Backtrace output:
>
> gdb: unknown target exception 0x80000001 at 0x5dd96d61
>
> Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.
> [Switching to Thread 8216.0x2374]
> 0x5dd96d61 in sysfer!FirstHookFunc ()
>     from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SysWOW64/SYSFER.DLL
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  0x5dd96d61 in sysfer!FirstHookFunc ()
>     from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SysWOW64/SYSFER.DLL
> No symbol table info available.
> #1  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> No symbol table info available.
> (gdb)

Thanks.

The injected sysfer.dll belongs to "Symantec Endpoint Protection"

See [1] for a previous incident.  As discussed there, I suggest you try
updating SEP, or creating an exception for XWin.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00080.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer