Installation data under "~/Downloads/cygwin/"

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Sat May 2 08:50:00 GMT 2015

Greetings, Dr Rainer Woitok!

> after installing and updating Cygwin for several times, my administrator
> account's "~/Downloads/cygwin/" directory now  amounts to roughly 6GB of
> data, partially dating back to 2009.  Is all this stuff still needed?

> If not,  what to  keep?   All the  "*.ini"  files?   Or only  the latest
> "*.ini" file?  Or what?

You may safely nuke everything that is not your Cygwin installation.
If you want to maintain a cache of downloaded packages elsewhere, copy
setup<arch>.exe to a dedicated location before starting an
upgrade/installation.

Alternatively, this script may be of help.

#!/bin/sh

# Cygwin upgrade helper script.
# Usage:
#
#   install-cygwin.sh [ ports ]
#
# If you intend to use it for new installs, you will need minimal bootstrap
# including POSIX shell interpreter and wget utility.
#
# You will have to edit the script to provide mirror URL of your choice.
#
# The script assumes existing installation of the same architecture as
# the host operating system.
# If you want to install 32-bit Cygwin on 64-bit host, override
# $ARCH with value other than "x86_64".
# F.e.
#
#   ARCH=x86 ./install-cygwin.sh

# Mirror URL - don't include trailing slash!
MIRROR="${MIRROR:-http://example.com/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin}"

# System architecture.
ARCH="${ARCH:-$(uname -m)}"

# Localization is fine... as long as you don't show it to other people.
export LANG=C

if [ "$ARCH" != "x86_64" ]; then
  ARCH=x86
fi

wget -N "http://cygwin.com/setup-${ARCH}.exe"

if [ "$1" = "ports" ]; then
  KEYS="-K http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg -s ""${MIRROR%%/}ports/"
  shift
fi
./setup-${ARCH}.exe -O -s "${MIRROR%%/}/" $KEYS $* &

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...