[64bit] cygwin-devel headers broken

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Fri May 1 20:38:00 GMT 2015

On 05/01/2015 02:12 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> It seems that sys/select.h is no longer implicitly included by some
>>> other header, I think probably sys/time.h.

POSIX says:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/sys_time.h.html#tag_13_64

"Inclusion of the <sys/time.h> header may make visible all symbols from
the <sys/select.h> header."

which means <sys/time.h> may (but not must) pollute the namespace with
select().  This means two things:

1. Portable applications should not depend on the pollution (so
reporting it to upstream projects is the right thing to do)

2. Cygwin should do better at emulating Linux and include the namespace
pollution, for the sake of applications that have not yet been patched.

Anyone want to tackle the patch to cygwin's sys/time.h?