cygrunsrv no longer allows domain user

Len Giambrone Leonard.Giambrone@intersystems.com
Tue Mar 31 18:06:00 GMT 2015

> On Mar 30 14:07, Len Giambrone wrote:
>> This used to work (before Corinna's db work):
>>
>> $ cygrunsrv -I myservice -d 'myservice' -u 'ISCINTERNAL\build' -w donotuseme
>> -p /cygdrive/f/tut/install.sh
>> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: CreateService:  Win32 error 1057:
>> The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid
>> for the account name specified.
>>
>> Using + doesn't help either:
>>
>> $ cygrunsrv -I myservice -d 'myservice' -u 'ISCINTERNAL+build' -w donotuseme
>> -p /cygdrive/f/tut/install.sh
>> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: CreateService:  Win32 error 1057:
>> The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid
>> for the account name specified.
>>
>> Is there an incantation that will work?
> Uhm, not with Cygwin 1.7.35, unless your domain is the primary domain of
> your machine, in which case you just omit the leading domain:
>
>    cygrunsrv [...] -u 'build'
>
> This is a bug in Cygwin.  Cygrunsrv calls getpwnam("ISCINTERNAL\\build")
> and the underlying code fails to recognize this as invalid Cygwin user
> name.  Instead, it constructs a user entry for a user
> ISCINTERNAL+ISCINTERNAL\build and carries on.

Ok, so reading your patch, you just don't allow fully qualified
usernames and return an error.  What if I have two users foo, one local
to the machine, and one that is in the domain the machine is a member of?
How do I make the distinction?  Right now -u foo (by empirical evidence)
translates to DOMAIN\foo; how to I specify LOCALMACHINE\foo?

--
-Len