bash / readline problem with cd, directories with spaces, nospace

George Prekas prekgeo@yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 16:04:00 GMT 2015

On 23/02/2015 17:14, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> [OK, here's the message body I _thought_ I sent with the cygcheck
> output which is all that appears to have been received...]
>
> I _think_ this is a regression, but my memory for this sort of thing
> is terrible.
>
> With libreadline7-6.3.8-1, given that I have
>
>   /c/Program Files
>   /c/Program Files (x86)
>   /c/ProgramData
>
> If I type
>
>   > cd /c/Prog[tab]
>
> I get [bell/flash] and
>
>   > cd /c/Program
>
> All correct so far
>
>   > cd /c/Program[tab]
>   [bell/flash]
>   > cd /c/Program[tab again]
>   Program Files/    Program Files (x86)/    ProgramData/
>   > cd /c/Program
>
> Still as expected
>
>   > cd /c/Program\ [tab]
>   [bell/flash]
>
> _Not_ as expected, should give
>
>   Program Files/    Program Files (x86)/
>   > cd /c/Program\ Files
>
> Overriding the standard (Linux too, where I cannot reproduce the problem)
>   complete -o nospace -F _cd cd
> with
>   complete -o default -F _cd cd
> fixes this, but I don't _think_ it used to happen.
>
> Related (?) problem
>
>   > cd /c/'Prog'[tab]
>
> should result in
>
>   > cd /c/Program
>
> but in fact just gives [bell/flash]
>
> Can anyone reproduce, either correct behaviour with earlier readline
> and/or earlier bash-completion than 1.3-1, or same problem as me?
>
> Or have I inadvertently screwed something up?
>
> Thanks
>
> ht

Hi Henry,

I had the same trouble as you describe and I was using your workaround,
but then I realized that find is broken in the same way.  So, I did some
research and found out that Debian and Ubuntu have solved this problem
by patching /etc/bash_completion as described in the following URLs:

<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=739835>

<https://code.launchpad.net/~jjo/bash-completion/quote_readline_by_ref_fixes/+merge/210930>

I think Cygwin should incorporate the specified patch file in its
bash-completion package.

Regards,
George