path dependent on drive in cygwin

John Norris john@norricorp.f9.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 18:27:00 GMT 2015

Hi,
I am running cygwin 1.7.x on Windows 2008. I realise this may be out of
date but this is what we are using.
I have noticed that the path variable for our build user is dependent
on where "cmd /C" is run from.
Please see below - I have cut back the PATH so that it does not
overwhelm. Notice the extra C; before the non cygwin entries. And when
run from e drive, the C; remains but the c: becomes e:. And this is the
problem - the path when run from c is messy but works. The path when run
from e (which is where we do run from) does not work.

Can anyone explain this. I guess one way round this is to explicitly
call the necessary programs without relying on PATH. But interested why
this happens.

Regards,
John

$ /c/windows/system32/cmd
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\>notepad
notepad

C:\>path
path
PATH=C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\Cygwin\bin;C;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;C;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;C;

C:\>exit
exit

builduser@machine04 /c
$ cd /e/

builduser@machine04 /e
$ /c/windows/system32/cmd
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

E:\>path
path
PATH=C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\Cygwin\bin;C;E:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;C;E:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;C;

E:\>exit
exit