python binary retrieved via (cygwin) git clone does not execute - error 127 - SOLVED

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Thu Jun 25 12:50:00 GMT 2015

Greetings, Rick Springob!

> I did an experiment. I copied the binary to another directory and executed
> there. It worked! So, it was something about where the binary was rather
> than what it was.

> It turned out that the directory permissions were not correct:

> # On the repo that works.
> $ icacls windows
> windows USWIN\V605040:(I)(F)
>         CREATOR OWNER:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
>         USWIN\Domain Users:(I)(RX)
>         CREATOR GROUP:(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>         Everyone:(I)(OI)(CI)(RX)

> # On the repo that does not work.
> $ icacls windows
> windows USWIN\V605040:(F)
>         USWIN\Domain Users:(RX)
>         Everyone:(RX)
>         CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
>         CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>         Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

> The directory did not inherit permissions from its parent. Using explorer I
> went to the advanced security settings and checked the "Replace all child
> object permissions with the inheritable permissions from this object."

> Voila! The failing binary started working.

> Not sure that this is a cygwin/git bug. I would think this behavior would be
> more widely reported if it was a bug.

It is a Cygwin, but it is not a bug, rather - intended behavior.
You can get around it by setting "noacl" flag on mount points you want to be
managed by Windows, or explicitly chmod +x necessary binaries. (Though, they
SHOULD be chmod'd in the git. Else it is just not suitable for the job of
VCS.)

> It is more likely that the problem was caused by either a security policy or
> the "IT approved" version of cygwin had been modified. Company issued
> laptops are heavily managed by IT department where I work. (And, dog slow
> because of all the installed nannies.)

.........no comments.

--
With best regards,