Group Permissions on root folders problem (Windows 10 TP build 10061)

Tue Jun 16 15:58:00 GMT 2015

On Jun 16 09:23, Brian Buchanan wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 at 10:24:50, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at
> cygwin dot com> wrote:
> >[...]
> > Hmm, the permission test in the csih helper script is apparently not up
> > to the task in your situation.  As a workaround, you may want to change
> > the group ownership of /var/empty to "Users" and chmod it to 755, then
> > run the ssh-host-config script again.
> >

> (I'm now on a fresh install of Build 10130)
>
> I had to do that to /var (not just /var/empty) to get past that
> message, but I've run into another snag with ssh-host-config
>
> I'm getting an errors saying unknown user win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server
> at the point of setting the password, the password expiry and
> assigning permissions.

This is a domain member machine, yes?

> *** Info: This script plans to use 'cyg_server'.
> *** Info: 'cyg_server' will only be used by registered services.
> *** Query: Create new privileged user account
> 'WIN-G71N7DRQ4R6\cyg_server' (Cygwin name:
> 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server')? (yes/no) yes
> *** Info: Please enter a password for new user
> win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server.  Please be sure
> *** Info: that this password matches the password rules given on your system.
> *** Info: Entering no password will exit the configuration.
> *** Query: Please enter the password:
> *** Query: Reenter:
>
> *** Info: User 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server' has been created with
> password 'Su3per$ecr3t'.
> *** Info: If you change the password, please remember also to change the
> *** Info: password for the installed services which use (or will soon use)
> *** Info: the 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server' account.
>
> passwd: unknown user win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server
> *** Warning: Setting password expiry for user
> 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server' failed!

This is weird.  The same works for me:

  *** Query: Do you want to use a different name? (yes/no) yes
  *** Query: Enter the new user name: blubber
  *** Query: Reenter: blubber

  *** Query: Create new privileged user account 'my_machine\blubber' (Cygwin name: 'my_machine+blubber')? (yes/no) yes
  *** Info: Please enter a password for new user my_machine+blubber.  Please be sure
  *** Info: that this password matches the password rules given on your system.
  *** Info: Entering no password will exit the configuration.
  *** Query: Please enter the password:
  *** Query: Reenter:

  *** Info: User 'my_machine+blubber' has been created with password 'blubber'.
  *** Info: If you change the password, please remember also to change the
  *** Info: password for the installed services which use (or will soon use)
  *** Info: the 'my_machine+blubber' account.

  *** Info: The sshd service has been installed under the 'my_machine+blubber'
  *** Info: account.  To start the service now, call `net start sshd' or
  *** Info: `cygrunsrv -S sshd'.  Otherwise, it will start automatically
  *** Info: after the next reboot.

  *** Info: Host configuration finished. Have fun!

Is there a chance you have a non-Cygwin passwd tool in $PATH?

> [...]
> At this point sshd and a cyg_server accounts exist and the service got
> created, however it's using the Local System account.

You can change that in the Services GUI to the local cyg_server user.

> I'm guessing this is just because the Local System account doesn't
> have the required privileges.

Yes.

> What do those processes (passwd, set password expiry and assigning
> appropriate privileges) need to succeed?

I don't know why this occurs.  As you can see above, it works for me.

This is a completely new setup with the Cygwin distro updated to the
latest?  csih 0.9.8-6?  cygwin-2.0.4-1?

Corinna

Red Hat