From Microsoft: Windows 10 Console and Cygwin

Warren Young wyml@etr-usa.com
Tue Jun 2 20:49:00 GMT 2015

On Jun 2, 2015, at 1:20 PM, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/02/2015 10:37 AM, Rich Eizenhoefer wrote:
>> Can you provide more detail on changing isatty function to support Cygwin PTY's? I need to be able to support the request in our backlog.
>
> As long as we are wishing, it would be awesome if Windows natively
> supported ptys as actual objects, instead of making cygwin have to
> emulate them on top of other objects.

In my ignorance of how ptys map to Windows console objects, I held off from asking for this when Mr. Eizenhoefer solicited ideas, but this is what I thought of at that time, too.

In other words, this notion of “virtual terminals” is already implemented multiple times, following a standard that specifies the expected semantics — POSIX — so why not just do that?

Why, in the end, can Windows *not* have ptys?