Analyzing a SEG FAULT that gdb doesn't help with

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Jul 31 12:51:00 GMT 2015

On 30/07/2015 15:39, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 30/07/2015 00:16, Michael Enright wrote:
>> 1) Why is it not the case that gdb handles this SEGV in the usual
>> manner? It too just allows the stackdump to be made and lets me know
>> that the inferior has run its course.
>
> This shouldn't happen.  Are you sure the crashing process is the direct
> inferior of gdb, and not some wrapper process which runs it?
> (uninstalled libtool generated binaries do this, for e.g.)

Oh, I just remembered something :)

I think you need to use the gdb command 'set cygwin-exceptions on' to
tell gdb to break on exceptions inside the cygwin DLL (by default they
are ignored, as they may be generated during normal operation when
checking a pointer is valid)

I shall have to see if I can find a place for these last couple of
answers in the FAQ or documentation somewhere.  It's rather too obscure
at the moment.