Fw: What generates colossal 1.4G /usr/share/icons

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Thu Jul 30 07:59:00 GMT 2015

> $ du -sh /usr/share/icons
> 114M /usr/share/icons

> These icon directories have a _lot_ of symlinks, did you perhaps copy your
> installation and flatten them?

> Thank you.
$ du -sh /usr/share/icons/
1.5G /usr/share/icons/
I did not intentionally flatten them, but I must have: 1.5G >> 114M.
> Can you say what original package installation might have induced this directory?

Found it. The package
xinit
which I've always requested at any new installation as being fundamental to any X activity e.g. TeX or xpdf now induces adwaita-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme which provide the bulk of files under /usr/share/icons/.
Q1.  Why are these deemed so essential?
Re installing xinit, I still have 1.4 G under /usr/share/icons/ of which 630M under Adwaita/ and 738M under gnome/.
Have you installed xinit?
Q2. If you have, what trick do I need to pull to reduce the size of these 2 subdirectories?
If you have not, that explains your small usage.
Thank you!
Fergus