Xwin 1.17.2.1 exits early

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Jul 29 16:15:00 GMT 2015

On 28/07/2015 16:43, Rainer Blome wrote:
> For a few months now, the only way for me to get Cygwin/X to run
> was to start a Cygwin terminal ("C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -"),
> then run "XWin -multiwindow -clipboard" from there, in the foreground.
> That has worked for many weeks now.

I think this is saying that using the start menu shortcuts doesn't work,
but I'm not sure.

> Today, I upgraded from 1.17.1-5 to 1.17.2-1 (I think),
> and XWin no longer starts as it used to.
> No X icon appears, XWin exits almost immediately, with return code zero.
>
> This is the output:
> ----
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 1.17.2.0
> OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW ************ 2.1.0(0.287/5/3) 2015-07-14 21:26 i686
> OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (WoW64)
> Package: version 1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09
>
> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> Xwin -multiwindow
>
> (II) xorg.conf is not supported
> (II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
> LoadPreferences: /cygdrive/c/blome/.XWinrc not found
> LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
> LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
> winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
> winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005

This is pretty odd.

> * I tried leaving out all command-line args but "-multiwindow". Still no success.

How about leaving out all command-line args completely?

> * I used the Cygwin installer to roll back to 1.17.1.5. Still no success.

This tends to argue against that you were using 1.17.1-5 previously, or
that other things e.g. the cygwin DLL were upgraded at the same time.

> How can I troubleshoot this further?

Can you provide the logfile written by 'strace -o logfile XWin
-multiwindow' which might shed some light.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer