Problems with cygwin in Windows 10

Wed Jul 22 08:03:00 GMT 2015

On Jul 21 23:13, Robert McBroom wrote:

> Having problems with the X interface in Windows 10 (currently build 10240).
> /bin/startxwin fails with the symptoms in the attached file xwin.txt. The
> output from cygcheck -cv is also attached. What am I missing?
> [...]
> granp@WIN-xx /
> $ ls -la
> total 1303
> drwxrwxrwx+ 1 Unknown+User Unknown+Group      0 May 21 15:33 .

This looks weird.  Did you copy your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
from another machine, by any chance?  If you have both files, simply
remove them.  Check if you have a /etc/nsswitch.conf(*) file and
remove it as well.

Exit all Cygwin processes and start a single shell.  What does
`id' print?  What does `ls -l' print now?

Corinna

(*) In the long run, you might want to read
    https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

Red Hat