Cygwin ssh and Windows authentication

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Sun Jul 19 22:50:00 GMT 2015

Greetings, Jarek!

> I'm still quite new to Cygwin. I'm using the most recent version to
> install the ssh component on Server 2012R2 member server since it
> happened to become a requirement for certain users. The problem I have
> is to understand how to allow access for domain groups. I read the new
> version doesn't even need the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files any more
> but I couldn't see any explanation as to how to allow users or groups
> permission to ssh to the cygwin sshd server.

Short version is that you need SSH server running under domain user.
Which needs to be created prior to starting ssh-host-config.

> Running ssh-host-config answering yes to all questions except the one for
> using other user than the cyg_server I set up the ssh daemon. Not knowing
> any other way I created the /etc/passwd file with $mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd

These files no longer need, but in your specific case, you actually just
screwed your setup.

> which dumped all local users into the file. I successfully added a domain user
> with $mkpasswd -u [domain_user] -D [domain] >> /etc/passwd.

That's not how it works.

> This worked just fine creating the /home/[user] folder I think although
> I haven't checked if it didn't get created earlier since I installed
> Cygwin under that user account.  No idea though how to get this working
> without the use of /etc/passwd file. I then created the /etc/group file
> and added my selected domain user group to it. Unfortunately in this
> case members of the group cannot connect via ssh. I don't know if there
> is a way to list all users including group members with access
> permissions. $net user lists only users. I tried $net group but this
> seems to be limited to DCs only which I have no access to. Could someone
> please explain how can this be set up and what tellls Cygwin who can
> connect and who can't?

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.sshd-in-domain
It was there all the time.

--